3 Questions Every Driver Asks About Oil Changes
At Christian Brothers Automotive, our number one priority is keeping your car running like new for as long as possible. So today, our auto repair experts answer some of the most common questions we get from drivers when it comes to their oil change.
Editor’s Note: This blog, originally published in 2016, answered the top three oil change questions we’ve been asked. As of April 2021, we updated this page to include technical and industry changes – plus, more top oil change questions & answers!
Your Top Oil Change Questions – Answered!
- How Does Oil Help My Vehicle? Automobiles are complicated machines that fight the elements and rough road conditions daily, no matter where you drive. With so many parts working together, heat is created. Oil helps absorb heat and lubricate the moving parts under your hood for seamless performance. This prevents your vehicle from overheating during a long commute or road trip and ensures the efficiency & performance of your engine.
- Are There Different Types Of Engine Oil? Yes, there are different types of engine oil, and not all oil is created the same. In fact, there are a few different types of engine oils that are available, including conventional, full-synthetic, synthetic blend & high-mileage. We recommend checking your owner’s manual to better understand which engine oil works best in your vehicle – or, stop by one of our shops and our team of professionals can help consult you on the best type of oil for your car, SUV, or truck.
- What Does the Oil Filter Do & Why Is It Important To Replace It? For the oil to do its job properly, it must be clean. This is where the filter does its job. It keeps debris, dirt, and other nasty particles out of the oil, that would otherwise contaminate the oil. A clean oil filter means cleaner oil. Cleaner oil means your car will run that much better. Our auto experts recommend replacing your filter every time you have your oil changed. This will keep them on the same schedule, as well as ensure that your car’s oil remains clean.
- Are There Different Types of Oil Filters? Yes, there are two different types of oil filters you should be aware of. The first type is a small canister that can be removed and installed easily. The second oil filter type has a more involved exchange process. It has a separate filter that is installed in the cap of the filter housing. To better understand which oil filter your vehicle uses, check your owner’s manual or visit your local Christian Brothers Automotive.
- When Does My Oil Need to Be Replaced? Surprisingly, there are a lot of oil change myths that run wild on oil color & timing for an oil change service. Unfortunately, there’s no one-size-fits-all answer. There are a variety of factors that determine the lifespan of engine oil. This includes items ranging from how old your engine is to the way you drive, where you live, and what type of oil you use. Generally speaking, average drivers receive a routine oil change anywhere from 3,000 – 5,000 miles. Some modern vehicles using good-quality oil can go longer than 8,000 miles between oil changes. Again, it depends on the type of car, type of oil, the driver, and the geographic landscape.
What to Expect At Christian Brothers Automotive:
Oil changes are some of the most important maintenance services you can have performed for your vehicle. If you wait too long between oil changes, your car can experience inefficiencies and even disastrous engine failure.
When you bring your vehicle to our auto repair shop for an oil change service, we always make sure to replace the old oil with new oil. At the same time, we’ll also change the engine oil filter and offer a no-obligation courtesy inspection to assess your vehicle’s major operating systems.
At Christian Brothers Automotive, we strive to give our guests the best oil change experience possible. From a comfortable, clean waiting room to quick service, you’ll be happy you chose our auto repair shop. Don’t hesitate to ask any of our experienced auto technicians questions about your oil and filter change service.