Car Maintenance Schedule: Windshield Wiper Replacement
Editor’s Note: This blog has been updated as of June 2021.
Statistics show that most Americans replace their car’s windshield wipers about every two and a half years. While this depends on how often you drive your car and how it is stored, this is too long. Most auto repair shops recommend having your wipers replaced every year to ensure clear vision and safety during even the most hazardous driving conditions.
Make sure your wipers are in the best possible condition for safe driving—keep the following in mind:
- Replace your windshield wipers every year.
- Do not wait to replace your wipers until poor weather strikes or your visibility is hindered. Eyestrain is damaging and can lead to worry and fatigue—adversely affecting your driving ability.
- Never use your windshield wipers as ice scrapers. Keep an ice scraper handy and in your car at all times. Using your windshield wipers to help remove ice and snow will damage and ruin your wipers.
When Should I Replace My Windshield Wipers?
When you notice cracks and discoloration on your wipers or their motion leaves a streaky residue, your wipers are not effective and should be replaced promptly. Schedule a car maintenance checkup at your local automotive shop to ensure that your windshield wipers and other car parts are routinely examined and replaced by a skilled auto mechanic. This helps ensure you and your vehicle are always safe on the road – even during heavy rain or snowfall.
Some signs that you need new wiper blades installed include:
- Ineffectiveness in rainy or snowy weather
- Bent frames
- Ineffective windshield contact
- Marks or splotches on your windshield
- Noisy sounds while operating
- Splits, gouges, jagged edges, or discolored rubber
- Imperfections in the wipe pattern
- Occasional sticking and stuttering on the windshield
Basic driving safety is centered on the driver’s ability to see and navigate the road. When your vision is impaired by heavy rain or snowfall, your reaction time slows down significantly. Do not wait to replace your windshield wipers until you are caught in a dangerous situation.
What Type of Wiper Blade Do I Have?
While it may seem like it, all windshield wipers are not made the same. Of course, your vehicle has specifications when it comes to size, but you have some options when choosing the best wiper blade for your model.
In general, there are four common types of wiper blades available:
- Standard – The timeless classic, the standard wiper option is the tried-and-true windshield wiper. Designed to clear your view, you cannot beat this classic invention.
- Beam – Beam blades are the next upgrade from the standard blade. These are commonly made with higher-quality rubber, allowing for more time before replacement.
- Hybrid – Hybrid wipers can also be labeled as all-season blades. These are designed to offer aerodynamic performance, so your wiper gets full contact with your window. While they continue to be more affordable than beam blades, they are an investment from their standard counterpart.
- Rear – Today, a majority of SUVs and hatchbacks feature rear wiper additions. Rear wipers are usually a smaller version of your front wipers and should be treated with the same maintenance and care.
Although windshield wipers come in a variety of materials and designs, all windshield wipers are designed to remove rain, snow, ice, washer fluid, stray water, and any other type of debris from the driver’s view. Windshield wipers are made up of metal and rubber or silicone composites and feature frames that are most often made of aluminum with some small steel components. Due to the nature of the materials, your windshield wipers will begin to experience wear and tear after time and should be routinely inspected and replaced.
Christian Brothers Automotive Can Help!
At Christian Brothers Automotive, we are here to help you make it easier than ever to maintain your car. Regardless of the make and model, our team will give you reliable car maintenance services backed by exceptional service. Professional, friendly, and knowledgeable, our expert team of auto mechanics can provide you the necessary automotive maintenance services to keep your vehicle safe and reliable on the road.
Locate your closest auto repair shop and request service by using our online store locator.