Remember These Simple Tips to Drive Safely in the Rain in Collierville, TN
| By: Christian Brothers Automotive
- Replace your wipers: Are your wiper blades squeaking, streaking, or skipping? If so, it's probably time to replace them. Also, you can look over your blades for corrosion or other damage that might indicate a need for a change. A new set of blades will do wonders for enhancing your visibility and help you better react to anything that happens while you are on the road.
- Focus: If it is raining, driving demands your complete attention. Keep your eyes on the road and both hands on the wheel.
- Maintain a safe speed: While cruise control is a great invention, a rainstorm is not the time to use it. Even if other vehicles around you are speeding, you can stay below the posted speed limits within a range you feel good about.
- Keep a safe distance: Keep a minimum of five car lengths, or one second of following distance per ten miles per hour, between you and the car in front of you. This will give you ample time to brake quickly or respond to anything that may happen.
- Be prepared: Skidding and hydroplaning can happen to anyone, even safe drivers. Never slam on the brakes if you start skidding. Don't panic and slowly steer in the direction you want to go. Similar steps should be followed if you start hydroplaning. Refrain from making any sudden movements, let off the gas, and slowly steer in the direction you need to go.
Please keep these steps in mind to help make the roads a little safer this season in Collierville, TN.