How to Safely Change a Flat Tire
It happens to the best of us. You’re driving along I-35, recounting the day, or rushing to get to an appointment when “thump, thump, thump”…. You’ve guessed it. Flat tire.
While roadside services are real lifesavers in moments like these, sometimes you find yourself with a dead phone battery or in the middle of the hill country with no service, and the only person who’s going to get this tire replaced is you. Deep breath my friend. You’ve got this.
We want you to be safe wherever you find yourself travelling, so here is a quick printable tire change tutorial to make sure you are well prepared.
How To Change A Flat Tire
- Park on an even surface with parking brake on and locate spare tire, tire iron, and jack.
- Remove hubcap and use tire iron to loosen lug nuts, but don’t fully remove them yet.
- Place jack under sturdiest part of car frame. Refer to your owner’s manual for the safest placement.
- Raise jack until tire is off the ground enough to be easily removed. Keep every part of your body out from under the car while it is on the jack.
- Remove lug nuts and place in your hubcap while you work so you don’t lose them.
- Remove old tire and slide spare tire into place.
- Loosely Tighten lug nuts in a star pattern.
- Lower jack until wheel is just touching the ground. Tighten lug nuts all the way following a star pattern.
- Lower jack to the ground and remove.
- Drive slowly on your spare until you can replace it with a standard tire- under 50 mph for no more than 50 miles.
For tire repair in Round Rock, Texas, we recommend going to see our friends over at Discount Tire. They will repair your flat tire if it’s a safe option, or they’ll make sure you’re set up with the tires you need.
As always, Christian Brothers Round Rock is here to keep your car running smoothly through all of life’s little bumps. When you’re ready for wheel alignment and tire rotation, come see us. With our Courtesy Inspection, our ASE-certified technicians will go over all the major systems of your car, including your tires, and make sure you car is safe for the road and ready to take you places. You can even take advantage of our free shuttle service while you wait. Simply schedule and appointment online for a time that’s convenient for you.
If you’d rather swing by, we are open Monday-Friday 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM. We’d love to see you.