Tips for Driving in the Rain in Monument, CO
| By: Christian Brothers Automotive
- Replace your wiper blades: Have you noticed squeaking, streaking, or skipping with your windshield wipers? If so, it's probably time to replace them. Buying new blades will do wonders for improving your visibility to help you better react to anything that happens while you are driving.
- Eliminate distractions and focus: If it's raining, driving deserves your undivided attention. Keep both hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road and your mirrors.
- Maintain a safe speed: Cruise control is an awesome feature, but a rainstorm is not the time to use it. Even if cars are speeding around you, you can stay under the posted speed limits and maintain a speed you feel good about.
- Keep a safe distance: Make sure to keep a minimum of five car lengths, or one second of following distance per ten miles per hour, between you and the car in front of you. This will give you ample time to brake quickly or respond to anything that may happen in front of you.
- Be prepared: Skidding and hydroplaning can happen to anyone, even safe drivers. Never slam on the brakes if you start skidding. Remain calm and slowly steer in the direction you want to go. Similar steps should be followed if you are hydroplaning. Refrain from making any sudden movements, let off the gas, and slowly steer in the direction you need to go.
Please keep these steps in mind to help make the roads a little safer during rain in Monument.