Driving in the Rain Tips for Maumelle Residents
| By: Christian Brothers Automotive
- Replace your wipers: Have you noticed skipping, streaking, or squeaking with your windshield wipers? If so, it's probably time to replace them. Buying new blades will do wonders for enhancing your visibility to help you better react to anything that happens while you are driving.
- Eliminate distractions: If it's raining, driving demands your complete attention. Keep both hands on the steering wheel and your eyes on the road or your mirrors.
- Drive at a comfortable speed: While cruise control is a great invention, a rainstorm is not the time to use it. Even if other cars around you are speeding, you can stay below the posted speed limits within a range you feel good about.
- Don't tailgate!: Keep a minimum of five car lengths, or one second of following distance per ten miles per hour, between you and the car in front of you. This should give you enough time to brake quickly and react to anything that may happen in front of you.
- Be prepared: Even if you are driving as safely as possible, you may still be at risk for skidding or hydroplaning. If you start skidding, do not slam on the brakes! Don't panic and slowly steer in the direction you need to travel. Follow a similar process if you start hydroplaning (when your travels on top of water and has little to no contact with the ground). Don't make any sudden movements, let off the gas, and slowly steer in the direction you need to go.
Please keep these steps in mind to help make the roads a little safer during rain in Maumelle.