Today, the experts at Christian Brothers Automotive Jackson break down that strange noise coming from the exhaust. Before we explain an exhaust leak, there are a few things you need to know about the exhaust system itself.
How the exhaust system works
Your exhaust system is made up of several pipes, all connected throughout your vehicle.
· Exhaust first exists the engine, then travels through the pipes and out the tailpipe
· The catalytic convertor (or ‘cat’) burns off many of the toxins
· Removing the toxins makes the fumes safe to enter the atmosphere
Once the exhaust fumes are safe for the environment, they pass through the muffler, which tones down the noise the exhaust system makes, allowing for a peaceful drive.
Why your exhaust system wears out over time
Your engine creates and releases a large amount of chemicals, and it’s largely on the exhaust system to break down and contain these toxins.
A well-maintained exhaust system should last two to three years, but the pipes are constantly wearing down and slowly corroding.
· Outside the car, your exhaust pipes are taking hits from the road, flying debris, road salt and intense weather conditions
· Inside the car, the byproducts of the engine’s combustion process begin to eat away at the system designed to contain them
How to recognize a leak in the exhaust system
If not detected early, your exhaust pipes will eventually rot away from corrosion.
· A leak is almost always apparent with a loud, obnoxious sound
· There could possibly be drivability issues
· There could be an intermittent fluctuation in power
· If the leak is after the cat, it’s going to be irritating and disrupt your drive
· If the leak occurs before the cat, your exhaust system could be leaking hazardous fumes into the air
The only way to know whether the leak occurs before or after the catalytic converter is with an inspection at our Jackson auto repair shop. If you suspect an exhaust leak, call for an appointment immediately.
The nice difference in Jackson exhaust service
Don’t take a chance with your car’s operation or your family’s health. As soon as you hear your exhaust system begin to rattle or rumble, call our auto repair shop in Jackson for an exhaust system inspection.
Our professional technicians will determine the source of your leak and ensure your car is safe to drive on. To schedule an exhaust check today, call Christian Brothers Automotive in Jackson, Tennessee.