Tips for Driving in the Rain in Bartlett, TN
| By: Christian Brothers Automotive
- Replace your wiper blades: Are your windshield wipers skipping, squeaking, or streaking? If so, it's probably time to replace them. You can also look over your blades for corrosion or other damage that might be a sign for change. Buying new blades will do wonders for improving your visibility and help you better react to anything that happens while you are driving.
- Eliminate distractions and focus: Rainstorms are not the time to be taking calls, messing with your radio, or eating a corn dog. Keep your eyes on the road or your mirrors and both hands on the wheel.
- Drive at a comfortable speed: Cruise control is an awesome feature, but a rainstorm is not the time to use it. Even if other cars around you are speeding, you can stay under the posted speed limits and maintain a speed you feel good about.
- Keep a safe distance: Make sure to keep a minimum of five car lengths, or one second of following distance per ten miles per hour, between you and the car in front of you. This will give you ample time to brake quickly or react to anything that may happen.
- Be prepared: Skidding and hydroplaning can happen to anyone, even safe drivers. Never slam on the brakes if you start skidding. Don't panic and slowly steer in the direction you need to travel. Follow a similar process if you begin hydroplaning (when your travels on top of water and has little to no contact with the ground). Don't make any sudden movements, let off the gas, and slowly steer in the direction you need to go.
Make sure you keep these tips in mind to help make the roads a little safer during rain in Bartlett.