- Replace worn windshield wipers: Have you noticed skipping, streaking, or squeaking with your windshield wipers? If so, it's probably time to replace them. Buying new blades will do wonders for enhancing your visibility to help you better react to anything that happens while you are driving.
- Eliminate distractions and focus: Rainstorms are not the time to be talking on the phone, channel surfing on the radio, or eating a corn dog. Keep your eyes on the road or your mirrors and both hands on the wheel.
- Maintain a safe speed: During heavy rain, don't use cruise control. Even if cars are speeding around you, you can stay under the posted speed limits within a range you feel good about.
- Keep a safe distance: Stay at least five car lengths, or one second per ten miles per hour, behind the car in front of you. This should give you enough time to brake quickly and react to anything that may happen.
- Be prepared: Skidding and hydroplaning can happen to anyone, even the safest driver. Never slam on the brakes if you start skidding. Remain calm and slowly steer in the direction you need to travel. Similar steps should be followed if you begin hydroplaning. Don't make any sudden movements, let off the gas, and slowly steer in the direction you need to go.
Please keep these steps in mind to improve your chances of safe travel during rain in Land O’ Lakes.