Our courteous technicians at Christian Brothers Automotive Lafayette are going to take you through a step-by-step process to check your fuel pump.
Make sure the fuel pump is working
1. Safety always comes first! This task isn’t difficult, but go ahead and make sure the vehicle is off and parked on a level surface for stability.
2. The electronic fuel pump is located in your gas tank. To access it, remove the fuel cap just like you would at the gas station.
3. To complete this task, you will need an assistant. Your friend will need to turn the key in the ignition while you stay put at the gas tank. Warn whoever is helping you to not start the car. The key only needs to be turned half way so that the car battery is engaged.
4. As your assistant turns the key, listen near the fuel tank opening. The fuel pump will hum for two or three seconds if it’s still working. If you do not hear any sound, then the fuel pump is either broken or not getting power.
5. If your fuel pump didn’t engage, you may just need to replace a fuse. After locating and replacing the fuel pump fuse, try steps 1 through 4 again to see if the problem is fixed!
If changing the fuse still doesn’t remedy the problem, the diagnosis and repair should be placed in capable hands. Since the fuel pump is in the gas tank, it can be difficult to gain access to. A skilled technician at your local auto repair shop should handle the job from here.
Fuel System Repair in Colorado
At Christian Brothers Automotive Lafayette, we know car trouble can be very inconvenient and troublesome. That’s why our ASE-certified technicians are focused on getting you back on the road without any hassle. The 2-year/24,000-mile Nice Difference warranty gives you peace of mind that your car gets the best service possible. Call us to schedule your fuel system maintenance and see the nice difference in Lafayette today!