- Replace your wipers: Are your windshield wipers skipping, squeaking, or streaking? If so, it's time for some new ones. New blades will do wonders for improving your visibility to help you better react to anything that happens while you are on the road.
- Focus: A rainstorm is not the time to be talking on the phone, channel surfing on the radio, or eating a hamburger. Keep your eyes glued on the road or your mirrors and both hands on the wheel.
- Maintain a safe speed: While cruise control is a great invention, a rainstorm is not the time to use it. Even if cars are speeding around you, you can stay under the posted speed limits and maintain a speed you feel good about.
- Don't tailgate!: Make sure to keep a minimum of five car lengths, or one second of following distance per ten miles per hour, between you and the car in front of you. This should give you enough time to brake quickly and respond to anything that may happen in front of you.
- Be prepared: Skidding and hydroplaning can happen to anyone, even the safest driver. If you begin skidding, do not slam on the brakes! Don't panic and slowly steer in the direction you need to go. Follow a similar process if you begin hydroplaning.
Make sure you remember these tips to help make the roads a little safer during rain in Kansas City.