How to check the fuel pump
1. Make sure the vehicle is off and safely parked on a level surface. Checking the fuel pump is not a very dangerous or involved task, but safety always comes first and you don’t want your vehicle to rock or shake.
2. On most vehicles, the fuel pump is located in the fuel tank. So, start by removing the fuel cap.
3. Next, you will need an assistant to turn the key to the “on” position while you listen near the gas tank opening. Please clearly tell your assistant they are not trying to start the car, but simply turning the key so that the lights come on.
4. Once the car is on, you need to listen for the fuel pump. Someone else needs to turn the key because the fuel pump will hum for just two or three seconds if it’s working. If you do not hear anything, the pump is not working.
5. If the pump makes no sound, the good news is the cause might be a blown fuse. Locate the fuel pump fuse and relay. If it’s blown, replace the fuse with another of the same amperage.
6. Follow steps 1 through 4 again to determine if replacing the fuse fixed the problem.
When to schedule a fuel system inspection
Unfortunately, if the fuel pump isn’t fixed by simply replacing a fuse it gets much more complicated. The fuel pump itself needs to be looked at and this will require you to remove the gas tank. At this point, call our auto repair shop in Oklahoma City so a professional mechanic can look at the vehicle.
Fuel system repair in Oklahoma City, OK
At Christian Brothers Automotive Warwick, we know how inconvenient car trouble is. That’s why customer service is a top priority for us. Not only are our ASE-certified technicians the best in the business, they’re also friendliest people in town! Most of our services are back by the 2-year/24,000-mile Nice Difference warranty. If you’re still eager to get to the office, our complimentary shuttle service can drop you off and pick you back up when you’re ready to reunite with your vehicle. If you’re in need of a fuel system inspection, call to schedule an appointment with Christian Brothers Automotive Warwick in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma today!