What sounds and noises indicate brake damage?
The best way to find brake issues is to pay attention to sounds and smells as you’re driving. It’s as simple as listening and looking for these signs:
• Grinding and squealing noises are the top signs drivers report hearing before finding out their brakes need repair.
• Vibration in the brake pedal or steering wheel usually means the rotors are warped and need to be repaired or replaced.
• Pressing the gas pedal down farther means your brakes need more pressure to stop your car. This issue is less prevalent with today’s modern braking systems.
• The brake warning light illuminates for a number of brake system issues. Visit us as soon as possible for a brake inspection!
Are there other warning signs that my brakes are wearing out?
There are many complexities to every car’s braking system. Every model has its quirks. Fortunately, the technicians at the Christian Brothers Automotive location in Yukon, OK are very familiar with the details of every make and model. We encourage you to give us a call if you have any questions about your brakes or any symptoms you have encountered.
How can I make my rotors last longer?
Aside from routinely replacing the brake pads once they have worn down, many drivers experience warped or damaged rotors. There are some simple braking techniques that will help you keep your rotors in better condition.
• Drive with the flow of traffic to reduce excessive starting and stopping when you’re on the road.
• Do not ride, or hold down, your brakes for long distances. This is a common problem when driving down steep hills.
• Reduce any extra weight in the vehicle.
How many miles should my brakes last?
Specific parts of the braking system all have a life expectancy. However, driving habits like the ones mentioned above heavily impact how often your brakes will need service. Calipers and rotors can last for years; they’re built for the long haul. Brake pads will need to be replaced more often and you should always keep an eye on your brake fluid.
If you’re looking for more information regarding how long your brakes should last or you’re not quite sure your car’s symptoms are a brake problem, give us a call at Christian Brothers Automotive Yukon! Our friendly staff will help you with any questions and solve your automotive issues. Experience the nice difference!