This is the time of year that rain storms in Carrollton, Farmers Branch, West Plano, Addison, Far North Dallas are more likely to occur. While this weather is helpful for crops and our yards, it can make driving more difficult. That's why Christian Brothers Midway would like to present you with a few simple steps to improve driving in the rain.
- Replace your wiper blades: Are your windshield wipers streaking, squeaking, or skipping? If so, it's time for some new ones. Also, you can look over your blades for corrosion or other damage that might be a sign for change. Buying new blades will do wonders for improving your visibility and help you better react to anything that happens while you are driving.
- Focus: Rainstorms are not the time to be taking calls, channel surfing on the radio, or eating a corn dog. Keep both hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road or your mirrors.
- Drive at a comfortable speed: Cruise control is an awesome feature, but a rainstorm is not the time to use it. Even if other vehicles around you are speeding, you can stay under the posted speed limits and maintain a speed you feel good about.
- Don't tailgate!: Keep a minimum of five car lengths, or one second of following distance per ten miles per hour, between you and the car in front of you. This will give you enough time to brake quickly or respond to anything that may happen in front of you.
- Prepare for skids or hydroplaning: Skidding and hydroplaning can happen to anyone, even safe drivers. Never slam on the brakes if you start skidding. Remain calm and slowly steer in the direction you need to travel. Follow a similar process if you begin hydroplaning.
Please keep these steps in mind to improve your chances of safe travel during rain in Far North Dallas, Carrollton, Addison, Farmers Branch, and West Plano.