Regularly maintaining your car’s current, safe condition is a great way to increase its life and value. However, it can be difficult to remember to keep up with scheduled maintenance. Here are five easy tasks you can perform monthly that will keep your car running smoothly:
1. Check tire pressure. Under-inflated tires increase tire wear and could cause accidents. Low tire pressure can also have an impact on gas mileage. Get a digital tire gauge and check each of your tires to make sure that they meet the manufacturer’s pressure levels. If levels are low, fill with a portable air compressor.
2. Check car fluids. Oil, power steering and brake fluids are all important aspects of ensuring that your vehicle runs smoothly. Take the time take inventory of their status so that you won’t find yourself in a situation where you are running dangerously low.
3. Check air filter. Changing the air filter is one of the easiest maintenance tasks you can request. The air filter cleans the air before it gets to the engine. Consult your owner’s manual for information about how often it needs to be replaced.
4. Maintain inventory. Life is unpredictable, and it’s important to be prepared. Make sure that your emergency kit has everything you need: jumper cables, flares and water. Ensure that you have spare fuses in the event that you have a blown fuse.
5. Tidy up! A clean car is a happy car. Do a quick sweep and toss out any debris that may have accumulated under seats or in nooks and crannies. Using a cloth, wipe down the dash and remove dust and dirt. Wipe down the interior windshield so that it is free of smudges or other visual obstructions.
The easiest way to keep your car in great shape is to maintain it regularly. For larger scheduled maintenance issues, stop by a Christian Brothers Automotive location near you. Our friendly technicians will be able to diagnose any potential or current problems and help you get back on the road.