- Replace your wiper blades: Are your wiper blades skipping, squeaking, or streaking? If so, it's probably time to replace them. Also, you can look over your blades for corrosion or other damage that might be a sign for change. New blades will do wonders for improving your visibility and help you better react to anything that happens while you are on the road.
- Eliminate distractions and focus: If it's raining, driving demands your undivided attention. Keep both hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road and your mirrors.
- Drive at a comfortable speed: During a rainstorm, don't use cruise control. Even if other cars around you are speeding, you can stay under the posted speed limits and maintain a speed you feel good about.
- Keep a safe distance: Keep a minimum of five car lengths, or one second of following distance per ten miles per hour, between you and the car in front of you. This will give you enough time to brake quickly or respond to anything that may happen in front of you.
- Be prepared: Skidding and hydroplaning can happen to anyone, even the safest driver. Never slam on the brakes if you start skidding. Don't panic and slowly steer in the direction you want to go. Similar steps should be followed if you are hydroplaning. Refrain from making any sudden movements, let off the gas, and slowly steer in the direction you need to go.
Make sure you remember these tips to improve your chances of safe travel this season in Katy, TX. For additional auto tips or repair services, contact Christian Brothers Automotive Westgreen.